Honda Civic Front Bumper Lip Options - ABS, Fiberglass, or All-Fit?
Are you a Honda Civic owner who’s looking for a bumper lip? There are more bumper lip options than ever before. The following bumper lips help improve your Civic’s performance and aesthetics:
- Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
- Carbon fiber
The last option - carbon fiber - is expensive, fragile, and impossible to fix. It doesn't make sense to us to splurge on a carbon fiber bumper lip only to have it break sooner or later. For that reason, we decided not to discuss carbon fiber bumper lips. The other three options are cheaper and far more useful.
What’s A Bumper Lip And Why Does Your Civic Need One?
A bumper lip is a strip that’s attached to the bottom of your front bumper. It’s also called an air dam or a spoiler. Bumper lips vary by:
The point of having a bumper lip on your Civic is to:
- Reduce airflow underneath the car (which improves downforce)
- Give your car a lowered look
- Protect your car’s front bumper (only with certain bumper lips, like All-Fit)
Which type of bumper lip meets your needs? Let’s find out.
1. Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
ABS bumper lips are one of the most popular options on the market. ABS is a type of plastic that’s a combination of two other types of plastic:
- Amorphous polymer
- Opaque thermoplastic
ABS bumper lips are easy to make, and they’re durable. That’s why ABS bumper lips are one of the most popular options out there. ABS bumper lip manufacturers combine both types of plastics in liquid form. Next, they put the liquid into a mold, where the liquid solidifies over time. It’s an easy and straightforward automated process.
As great as ABS bumper lips can be, they come with several drawbacks:
- ABS bumper lips can cost a lot of money
- It’s easy to scratch up an ABS bumper lip
- It can be pretty difficult to install an ABS bumper lip
- Depending on the manufacturer, you may need to modify your Civic to get your ABS bumper lip to fit right
- ABS bumper lips come in limited colors
- The finish can be dull, which is problematic if you’re looking to improve your car’s aesthetics
Fiberglass is made from a fiber mat soaked in liquid plastic resin. A fiberglass bumper lip is handcrafted by humans. That means fiberglass bumper lips are generally more expensive than ABS bumper lips.
Fiberglass is a popular choice for Civic owners who want to improve the way their cars look. When finished properly, fiberglass bumper lips can look great. However, are they worth the investment?
Not always. Fiberglass bumper lips come with several drawbacks:
- Even though fiberglass bumper lips are stronger than ABS, they’re still fragile
- If a fiberglass bumper lip gets damaged, the repair will be labor intensive and expensive
- Fiberglass bumper lips are hard to install, and they don’t always fit right
- Often times, you would have to paint your fiberglass bumper lip
All-Fit bumper lips are the most economical option on this list. An All-Fit bumper lip is a heavy duty bumper lip made out of high quality rubber. An All-Fit bumper lip provides the benefits of a bumper lip, and it protects your front bumper from bumps, curbs, and other obstacles.
Here are some advantages of having an All-Fit bumper lip on your Civic:
- All-Fit bumper lips are inexpensive, and they keep air from going under the car as well as more expensive options
- All-Fit bumper lips are every bit as durable as ABS bumper lips
- All-Fit bumper lips are easy to install
- You never have to worry about fitment issues with an All-Fit bumper
- An All-Fit bumper lip offers a lot of protection for your front bumper
The only drawback we can think of is the fact that All-Fit bumper lips can be hard to paint. Yet, that's why most All-Fit bumper lips come in a variety of colors.
All-Fit Bumper Lips Address The Low Ground Clearance Issue On Honda Civics
We may be biased, but All-Fit bumper lips offer so much more value for your money than the other types of bumper lips. Honda Civics have low ground clearance. That's beneficial for racing and performance purposes. But it's a curse for your front bumper. Since your Civic sits so close to the ground, its front bumper is susceptible to damage from bumps, curbs, road debris, and more.
An All-Fit bumper lip is a great way to protect your front bumper. It offers the best of both worlds:
- Improved performance
- Adequate protection for your front bumper